If you believe your dog ate chocolate, call your veterinarian immediately or call the Pet Poison Helpline (855-213-6680) for advice.
- 1 How much chocolate does it take to hurt a dog?
- 2 Will my dog be OK after eating chocolate?
- 3 What helps a dog after eating chocolate?
- 4 What if dog eats chocolate at home?
- 5 How soon will a dog get sick after eating chocolate?
- 6 What is an ounce of chocolate?
- 7 Should I make my dog throw up if he ate chocolate?
- 8 How can you tell if your dog has chocolate poisoning?
- 9 What home remedy can I give my dog for poisoning?
- 10 How much chocolate kills a small dog?
How much chocolate does it take to hurt a dog?
Merck warns that deaths have been reported with theobromine doses as low as 115 milligrams per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight. So 20 ounces of milk chocolate, 10 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate, and just 2.25 ounces of baking chocolate could potentially kill a 22-pound dog, Fitzgerald says.
Will my dog be OK after eating chocolate?
Chocolate is poisonous to dogs mostly because of its theobromine content, which dogs are unable to metabolize effectively. If your dog eats chocolate, you should monitor them closely and seek veterinary attention if they show any symptoms, or if they are very young, pregnant or have other health concerns.
What helps a dog after eating chocolate?
The most common way vets treat chocolate poisoning is to use fluids and IV drugs, he says. For example, they’ll use a drug called apomorphine to force vomiting, stomach pumping to flush the stomach with fluids, and medicine called activated charcoal to prevent the chocolate from getting into your dog’s blood.
What if dog eats chocolate at home?
What to do if Your Dog eats Chocolate
- Induce Vomiting with Hydrogen Peroxide. The most important step is to get rid of the chocolate before it gets digested by your dog’s body.
- Call ASPCA’s Poison Control Hotline.
- Don’t Use Activated Charcoal at Home.
How soon will a dog get sick after eating chocolate?
Signs of chocolate poisoning usually appear within 6 to 12 hours after your dog has eaten it, may last up to 72 hours, and include the following: Vomiting. Diarrhea. Restlessness.
What is an ounce of chocolate?
Chocolate measures as follows: 1 square of chocolate is equal to 1 ounce.
Should I make my dog throw up if he ate chocolate?
Even if you don’t see your pet consuming chocolate but find suspicious evidence such as chewed-up candy wrappers, it’s a good idea to get your pet to vomit. It can be dangerous to induce vomiting if the pup acts lethargic or it is otherwise dehydrated or sick.
How can you tell if your dog has chocolate poisoning?
For many dogs, the most common clinical signs are vomiting, diarrhea, increased thirst, panting or restlessness, excessive urination, and racing heart rate. In severe cases, symptoms can include muscle tremors, seizures, and heart failure.
What home remedy can I give my dog for poisoning?
A professional may ask you to induce vomiting at home with hydrogen peroxide. For this reason, you should try to always keep an unopened, non-expired bottle of hydrogen peroxide in your home (old hydrogen peroxide will not usually work). You will give the hydrogen peroxide to your dog by mouth.
How much chocolate kills a small dog?
While this depends on the type of chocolate, it can take only 0.3 ounces of concentrated chocolate per pound of body weight to kill a dog. Milder types of chocolates vary from 0.5 to 2 ounces. This is because chocolates contain theobromine, which is a lethal chemical for dogs.