How to Cut a Sweet Potato
- Peel the potato with a Vegetable Peeler.
- With a 7-5/8″ Petite Chef knife, cut the sweet potato in half lengthwise.
- Lay the halves flat on the cutting board and cut them into sticks.
- Rotate and cut crosswise to dice the sweet potato.
- 1 Is there a trick to cutting sweet potatoes?
- 2 Are sweet potatoes supposed to be hard to cut?
- 3 How do you cut sweet potatoes without a peeler?
- 4 How do you soften sweet potatoes for cutting?
- 5 How do you make sweet potatoes peel easier?
- 6 How long should I boil sweet potatoes to soften them for cutting?
- 7 How do you cut sweet potatoes into wedges?
- 8 How do you fix soggy sweet potato fries?
- 9 How do you make Jamie Oliver sweet potato fries?
- 10 Is it necessary to peel sweet potatoes?
- 11 Do you wash sweet potatoes before peeling?
- 12 Do you peel sweet potatoes before boiling them?
Is there a trick to cutting sweet potatoes?
More videos on YouTube Step 1: Wash and peel your sweet potato. Step 2: Slice off a small piece of the rounded edge so that the sweet potato sits on your cutting board without rocking back and forth. Step 3: Place the sweet potato cut side down and use your knife to cut lengthwise through it, creating rounds.
Are sweet potatoes supposed to be hard to cut?
The main reason sweet potatoes are so hard to cut is because they’re much denser than a regular potato. A sweet potato has smaller molecules, and they are packed much tighter than other vegetables. They resemble carrots and butternut squash in this regard.
How do you cut sweet potatoes without a peeler?
Place the potatoes into a pan of boiling water and cook as you would cook a sweet potato. Once they’re soft enough for a fork to slide into the flesh, drain them and transfer them to a bowl of ice cold water. Rub the surface of the potato, and the skins should fall off easily.
How do you soften sweet potatoes for cutting?
Simply microwave the potato, depending on the size, for 1-2 minutes. Just enough to take some of the hardness out of the sweet potato it makes cutting them much, much easier.
How do you make sweet potatoes peel easier?
We suggest baking them in the oven. With a fork, poke holes in the raw sweet potatoes, and then bake them at 425 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until very tender. Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel the skin off. The skin will magically slide right off.
How long should I boil sweet potatoes to soften them for cutting?
Boil sweet potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes, until they are tender when pierced with a fork. Note, it will take less time if you cut the sweet potatoes in smaller pieces.
How do you cut sweet potatoes into wedges?
Cut Evenly –To make sweet potato wedges, I cut the potato in half lengthways and then cut each half lengthways again and finally cut each piece in half again so you end up with 8 wedges.
How do you fix soggy sweet potato fries?
The secret to crispy (instead of soggy) sweet potato fries is to spread them out in an even layer with enough room so that they don’t touch. This is especially important if you’re making a big batch of fries. Instead of just piling more onto one baking pan, spread them out over two baking pans or cook them in batches.
How do you make Jamie Oliver sweet potato fries?
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO FRIES
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6.
- Cut each sweet potato in half lengthways, cut each half in half lengthways, then each piece in half again so you end up with 8 wedges.
Is it necessary to peel sweet potatoes?
For most sweet potato recipes, it’s unnecessary to remove the skin. Nevertheless, certain dishes, such as desserts, are best made without the skins. You can eat sweet potato skins by themselves or leave them on in most recipes, though desserts usually exclude the peel.
Do you wash sweet potatoes before peeling?
Before you peel your sweet potatoes, wash them vigorously with water. If you use a scrub brush, you will remove excess dirt and grime, making it easier to peel the potatoes themselves. Continue to peel the potato with a peeler until there is no skin left.
Do you peel sweet potatoes before boiling them?
You do not need to peel sweet potatoes before boiling. If leaving the peel on, you will need to pierce the skin of the potato with a fork a few times. Also, boiling a sweet potato with the peel will require slightly more time for it to cook through.