With a fork, poke holes in the raw sweet potatoes, and then bake them at 425 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until very tender. Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel the skin off. The skin will magically slide right off. Our easy trick is mess-free and bursting with sweet flavor.
- 1 How long do you boil sweet potatoes to get the skin off?
- 2 Are sweet potatoes easier to peel after boiling?
- 3 How do you get the skin off cooked sweet potatoes?
- 4 Can you peel sweet potatoes without a peeler?
- 5 Is it better to boil or bake sweet potatoes?
- 6 Do you boil sweet potatoes with skin on?
- 7 Do you wash sweet potatoes before peeling?
- 8 How do you peel and chop sweet potatoes?
- 9 Should you peel sweet potatoes?
- 10 How do you peel potatoes without boiling them?
- 11 How do you peel potatoes without cutting yourself?
- 12 How do you get the strings out of sweet potatoes?
How long do you boil sweet potatoes to get the skin off?
Cover them with water. Place the pot on the stove over high heat. Cover the pot and bring the sweet potatoes to a boil. After about 10 minutes, when the sweet potatoes have softened, remove the lid and puncture the sweet potatoes with a sharp paring knife to hasten the cooking process.
Are sweet potatoes easier to peel after boiling?
Whenever possible, cook them in their skins as they are easier to peel after cooking and retain more nutrients. They may be baked or boiled whole and then peeled and sliced or cubed. Peel sweet potatoes before cooking if they are to be added to soups or stews.
How do you get the skin off cooked sweet potatoes?
Here’s how I do it.
- Slice off both ends with knife.
- Use a sharp knife to make one long shallow cut down the potato from end to end. Only slice through the skin and avoid slicing deep down into the potato.
- This is how it should look.
- Use your hands to carefully peel away one side of the skin next to where you sliced.
Can you peel sweet potatoes without a peeler?
Place the potatoes into a pan of boiling water and cook as you would cook a sweet potato. Once they’re soft enough for a fork to slide into the flesh, drain them and transfer them to a bowl of ice cold water. Rub the surface of the potato, and the skins should fall off easily.
Is it better to boil or bake sweet potatoes?
Boiling may actually retain most of the antioxidant power of sweet potatoes, compared to roasting and steaming. Baking can also cause an 80% drop in vitamin A levels, twice as much as boiling. Therefore, from a nutritional standpoint, boiling rather than baking should be recommended for cooking sweet potato.
Do you boil sweet potatoes with skin on?
While you might find peeled boiled sweet potatoes recipes, it’s advisable to leave the skin on when boiling sweet potatoes. If, however, your recipe demands peeled sweet potatoes, boil them then, peel them thereafter, this way you’ll be peeling the thinnest outmost skin.
Do you wash sweet potatoes before peeling?
Before you peel your sweet potatoes, wash them vigorously with water. If you use a scrub brush, you will remove excess dirt and grime, making it easier to peel the potatoes themselves. Continue to peel the potato with a peeler until there is no skin left.
How do you peel and chop sweet potatoes?
How to Cut a Sweet Potato
- Peel the potato with a Vegetable Peeler.
- With a 7-5/8″ Petite Chef knife, cut the sweet potato in half lengthwise.
- Lay the halves flat on the cutting board and cut them into sticks.
- Rotate and cut crosswise to dice the sweet potato.
Should you peel sweet potatoes?
For most sweet potato recipes, it’s unnecessary to remove the skin. Nevertheless, certain dishes, such as desserts, are best made without the skins. You can eat sweet potato skins by themselves or leave them on in most recipes, though desserts usually exclude the peel.
How do you peel potatoes without boiling them?
Method Two: Use A Paring Knife
- Wash your potato and stand the potato on its bottom, gripping the potato from the top with your non-dominant hand.
- Take your knife and starting at the top, making one straight downward cut to remove the skin, being careful to remove as little flesh as possible.
How do you peel potatoes without cutting yourself?
1 Method 1 of 2: Using a Potato Peeler
- Hold the potato in one hand and the peeler in your other hand.
- Starting at the base of the potato, slowly peel the skin off away from you.
- Rotate the potato and continue the peeling process.
- Peel through any dark spots.
- Continue the process with the top and bottom of the potato.
How do you get the strings out of sweet potatoes?
Boil the sweet potatoes until they are fork tender. Drain the potatoes in a colander and allow them to cool. Peel the cooled sweet potatoes with a sharp paring knife, removing as many of the strings as you can by hand.