- Peel the sweet potato with a peeler.
- Cut off the ends with a classic chef’s knife.
- Slice the sides of the potato to square it.
- Make 1/2 inch slices through your potato. You can either eye-ball it or use a ruler.
- Turn the batonnets and cut into 1/2 inch slices, these are your medium diced sweet potatoes.
- 1 What is the easiest way to cube sweet potatoes?
- 2 How do you soften sweet potatoes for dice?
- 3 Should you poke holes in sweet potatoes before baking?
- 4 Why is it so hard to cut sweet potatoes?
- 5 How long does it take for sweet potatoes to soften?
- 6 Do you need to peel sweet potatoes?
- 7 How do you peel raw sweet potatoes?
- 8 Do you cut potatoes before boiling?
- 9 Should you wrap baked potato in foil?
- 10 Can you overcook a sweet potato?
- 11 What do you put on top of a baked sweet potato?
What is the easiest way to cube sweet potatoes?
Step 1: Wash and peel your sweet potato. Step 2: Slice off a small piece of the rounded edge so that the sweet potato sits on your cutting board without rocking back and forth. Step 3: Place the sweet potato cut side down and use your knife to cut lengthwise through it, creating rounds.
How do you soften sweet potatoes for dice?
Simply microwave the potato, depending on the size, for 1-2 minutes. Just enough to take some of the hardness out of the sweet potato it makes cutting them much, much easier.
Should you poke holes in sweet potatoes before baking?
Poking holes in the potato helps steam to escape which will hopefully prevent potatoes being splattered all over your oven. Take the time to poke holes.
Why is it so hard to cut sweet potatoes?
The main reason sweet potatoes are so hard to cut is because they’re much denser than a regular potato. A sweet potato has smaller molecules, and they are packed much tighter than other vegetables. They resemble carrots and butternut squash in this regard.
How long does it take for sweet potatoes to soften?
Boil sweet potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes, until they are tender when pierced with a fork. Note, it will take less time if you cut the sweet potatoes in smaller pieces.
Do you need to peel sweet potatoes?
For most sweet potato recipes, it’s unnecessary to remove the skin. Nevertheless, certain dishes, such as desserts, are best made without the skins. You can eat sweet potato skins by themselves or leave them on in most recipes, though desserts usually exclude the peel.
How do you peel raw sweet potatoes?
With a fork, poke holes in the raw sweet potatoes, and then bake them at 425 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes or until very tender. Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, peel the skin off. The skin will magically slide right off.
Do you cut potatoes before boiling?
Regardless of what you’ve chosen to do with the peel, your potatoes will cook more quickly if you cut them up into chunks before boiling. You can also leave the potatoes whole; this is best for when you are boiling a starchy potato that can become mushy during the cooking process.
Should you wrap baked potato in foil?
Prick potatoes with a fork before baking to shorten the baking time and to keep them from bursting. Bake at 400° F for about one hour, or until tender. Do not wrap potatoes in aluminum foil for baking. Foil holds in moisture and steams the potatoes, resulting in a “boiled” taste and texture.
Can you overcook a sweet potato?
Overcooking sweet potatoes in the oven would be a difficult thing to do! If you prefer to boil your sweet potatoes before baking or grilling to cut down on cook time, you can overcook them this way. Since sweet potatoes absorb water, they will become too watery and mushy if boiled for too long.
What do you put on top of a baked sweet potato?
- Brown sugar, cinnamon, butter and salt.
- Maple syrup, butter and toasted pecans.
- Sour cream, chives, salt and pepper.
- Blue cheese, walnuts and honey.
- Mini marshmallows, brown sugar and cinnamon (pop it under the broiler to toast the marshmallows a bit)
- Beef, Turkey or Veggie Chili.
- Sloppy Joe meat.