- Peel the sweet potato with a peeler.
- Cut off the ends with a classic chef’s knife.
- Slice the sides of the potato to square it.
- Make 1/2 inch slices through your potato. You can either eye-ball it or use a ruler.
- Turn the batonnets and cut into 1/2 inch slices, these are your medium diced sweet potatoes.
- 1 What is the easiest way to cube sweet potatoes?
- 2 How do you easily cut up sweet potatoes?
- 3 Do you peel sweet potatoes before cubing?
- 4 How do you cut sweet potatoes without a peeler?
- 5 Should sweet potatoes be hard to cut?
- 6 How long should I boil sweet potatoes to soften them for cutting?
- 7 Can you cut sweet potatoes before boiling?
- 8 Do sweet potatoes turn brown after peeling?
- 9 Do sweet potatoes go brown after cutting?
What is the easiest way to cube sweet potatoes?
Step 1: Wash and peel your sweet potato. Step 2: Slice off a small piece of the rounded edge so that the sweet potato sits on your cutting board without rocking back and forth. Step 3: Place the sweet potato cut side down and use your knife to cut lengthwise through it, creating rounds.
How do you easily cut up sweet potatoes?
Simply microwave the potato, depending on the size, for 1-2 minutes. Just enough to take some of the hardness out of the sweet potato it makes cutting them much, much easier.
Do you peel sweet potatoes before cubing?
If you plan on steaming or simmering the cubed sweet potato, you may want to peel it before cubing it. Otherwise, the skin will just add a little texture. Use a vegetable peeler to slice away the sweet potato skins. Keep in mind that the sweet potato may become slippery and harder to handle once you’ve peeled it.
How do you cut sweet potatoes without a peeler?
Place the potatoes into a pan of boiling water and cook as you would cook a sweet potato. Once they’re soft enough for a fork to slide into the flesh, drain them and transfer them to a bowl of ice cold water. Rub the surface of the potato, and the skins should fall off easily.
Should sweet potatoes be hard to cut?
The main reason sweet potatoes are so hard to cut is because they’re much denser than a regular potato. A sweet potato has smaller molecules, and they are packed much tighter than other vegetables. They resemble carrots and butternut squash in this regard.
How long should I boil sweet potatoes to soften them for cutting?
Boil sweet potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes, until they are tender when pierced with a fork. Note, it will take less time if you cut the sweet potatoes in smaller pieces.
Can you cut sweet potatoes before boiling?
You do not need to peel sweet potatoes before boiling. If leaving the peel on, you will need to pierce the skin of the potato with a fork a few times. Also, boiling a sweet potato with the peel will require slightly more time for it to cook through.
Do sweet potatoes turn brown after peeling?
If you’re just peeling them a few hours ahead, then just hold them whereever. Unlike russet potatoes, sweet potatoes (especially garnet yams) do not turn brown or lose texture on exposure to air. If you’re going to be holding them for a couple days, then drop them in cold water and refrigerate it.
Do sweet potatoes go brown after cutting?
Why Do Sweet Potatoes Go Brown? What is this? When you cut a vegetable, the enzymes in the cells (Polyphenol Oxidase, in case you were wondering), reacts with the oxygen in the air and the flesh turns dark.