- Peel the sweet potato with a peeler.
- Cut off the ends with a classic chef’s knife.
- Slice the sides of the potato to square it.
- Make 1/2 inch slices through your potato. You can either eye-ball it or use a ruler.
- Turn the batonnets and cut into 1/2 inch slices, these are your medium diced sweet potatoes.
- 1 Are sweet potatoes supposed to be hard to cut?
- 2 Is there an easy way to cut sweet potatoes?
- 3 How do you make sweet potatoes soft to cut?
- 4 How do you cut a whole sweet potato?
- 5 How long should I boil sweet potatoes to soften them for cutting?
- 6 How do you soften potatoes quickly?
- 7 How do you cut sweet potatoes without a peeler?
- 8 Do you need to peel sweet potatoes?
- 9 How do you soften cut potatoes?
Are sweet potatoes supposed to be hard to cut?
The main reason sweet potatoes are so hard to cut is because they’re much denser than a regular potato. A sweet potato has smaller molecules, and they are packed much tighter than other vegetables. They resemble carrots and butternut squash in this regard.
Is there an easy way to cut sweet potatoes?
How to Cut a Sweet Potato
- Peel the potato with a Vegetable Peeler.
- With a 7-5/8″ Petite Chef knife, cut the sweet potato in half lengthwise.
- Lay the halves flat on the cutting board and cut them into sticks.
- Rotate and cut crosswise to dice the sweet potato.
How do you make sweet potatoes soft to cut?
Simply microwave the potato, depending on the size, for 1-2 minutes. Just enough to take some of the hardness out of the sweet potato it makes cutting them much, much easier.
How do you cut a whole sweet potato?
More videos on YouTube Step 1: Wash and peel your sweet potato. Step 2: Slice off a small piece of the rounded edge so that the sweet potato sits on your cutting board without rocking back and forth. Step 3: Place the sweet potato cut side down and use your knife to cut lengthwise through it, creating rounds.
How long should I boil sweet potatoes to soften them for cutting?
Boil sweet potatoes for 15 to 20 minutes, until they are tender when pierced with a fork. Note, it will take less time if you cut the sweet potatoes in smaller pieces.
How do you soften potatoes quickly?
Here’s how to do it: Just prick a few holes in a few potatoes with a fork, and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes, turning over once. There you go—super-fast par-cooked potatoes.
How do you cut sweet potatoes without a peeler?
Place the potatoes into a pan of boiling water and cook as you would cook a sweet potato. Once they’re soft enough for a fork to slide into the flesh, drain them and transfer them to a bowl of ice cold water. Rub the surface of the potato, and the skins should fall off easily.
Do you need to peel sweet potatoes?
For most sweet potato recipes, it’s unnecessary to remove the skin. Nevertheless, certain dishes, such as desserts, are best made without the skins. You can eat sweet potato skins by themselves or leave them on in most recipes, though desserts usually exclude the peel.
How do you soften cut potatoes?
Boil your cut potatoes in a pot of salted water for about 5 minutes, just until they begin to soften and become slightly translucent. Remove them from the water and let them air dry on paper towels.